Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Unconditional Surrender

"Unconditional Surrender" Grant

There is talk of putting a mercy rule in to Iowa Girls’ Basketball next year. I see it as wrong no matter how you look at it.

The following is the National Federation Mercy Rule that would be used;

“Control, a 35-point differential rule is in effect for all games played in Iowa, grades 7-12. If there is a 35-point differential at the end of the first half or anytime after, the game will be continued with a running clock. Beginning with the ensuing possession when the 35-point differential becomes effective, the following changes, and only these changes, will be made regarding rules determining when the clock will and will not be stopped.


The clock will run continuously except for the following situations when it will be stopped:


(1) Anytime a time-out is charged to a team;


(2) Intermission between third and fourth quarter;


(3) Extended injury time-out;


(4) Anytime officials determine it is necessary for safety reasons.


Please keep in mind we play the first half to completion with regular timing. If the differential is 35 points or more at half-time or anytime there is a 35-point differential during the second half, the running clock procedures will be used.


If the score margin drops below 25 points, then normal timing will resume for the remainder of the game, or until the 35 point plateau is again reached.”

First, the quarter lengths respectfully are six, seven, and eight minutes long at the respective levels. The running clock takes time away from athletes that practices so much longer then they play in a game. Middle school kids practice about 300 minutes to every 30 minutes they play. If you have a running clock you are taking away an already limited oppurtunity to play, especially for the players that are limited in skills.

Second, the rule is disrespecting the team that is being beaten by protecting them with a mercy rule. Teams should want and expect the best from their opponents. To back away or not give your best is not respecting the game.

Third, if a team feels guilty for beating a team handily they can always play their weakest players, but if they play their weakest players, then play them like you practice them. For example, if a pressing team does not press, then a team is punishing their own players by sitting them in a sagging two-three. Do not disrespect your own players.

Fourth, if you are not good enough, do not pout because someone is better. Work to improve, which is what the off season is for. I know you are not suppose to punch someone when they are down, but in the same way, you are punching them when they are down by giving less than your best effort.

I know people will disagree, but remember an earlier post I had, I talked about where a team I coached was defeated 119-19. I do see both sides to this issue as I share with you my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Coach:

    I agree. As a pressing/running team also, we find ourselves in situations where we may be up by a considerable amount vs. an opponent. (we have also found ourselves down by a lot at times). I can honestly say that we have never tried to 'run it up' on our opponents. When I put my subs in a game that has become lopsided...they know no other way than to press and run (that is how we practice every day!). I always thought that it was unfair to those kids as well a stupid, to expect them to play a sagging defense and to run a "Controlled offense" when they/we don't practice that way. I always say that we (coaches) need to worry about our own team and what we feel is best for our program. I also feel that I/we disrespect the other team when we don't give them our best efforts and play our game. My kids work extremely hard in practice...high pressure, running, conditioning, weights etc...they deserve to display the "fruits of their efforts" on the court.
    I was and am often offended when a coach stops doing what he does well..If I can't break the press, I need to work on it. I also feel that I owe it to my league foes to help them (if you will) by encouraging them to "do what they do", as they have to work hard on their "systems"..If I can't stop them or give them a good look...I feel that it is my problem...not theirs.

    ReplyDelete