Sunday, May 1, 2011

War On Wheels


Well on Saturday night this purveyor of white trash went to the inaugural bout of the Push-Up Brawlers Roller Derby team, against the Cedar Rapids Roller Girls. It had not been since the 1970’s had I seen a bout on television, and I had never watched one live.
 I had pitched it to many of my friends and colleagues ,but only two kind souls chose to accompany me. The rest responded with anywhere from polite thank you but… to looks and snickers of are you crazy.

First the crowd that attended the bout; I would compare it to a hockey crowd that likes to dress with a little flair. If you want to know about it you will have to ask. I would guess around 1000 people were in attendance.

Next the seating; you can sit in box seats, bleachers, or in what the announcer called the suicide seats right on the edge of the track. Generally 20-30 year olds sat right by the track, although, I did see a man about my age with a sign that he had made for one of the Brawlers.

The game was the first for the Brawlers, and although they gave a great effort, and have much to be proud of, the Roller Girls experience allowed them to skate to an easy win. I think the final score was around 160-90.

The numbers the skaters wore were unique to say the least. They were anywhere from 3.15 to things that would be inappropriate to post here now.

I enjoyed myself immensely, and the Other Place Hawaiian pizza afterward topped off the night. Would I return for another bout? Come and watch them yourself Saturday May 21st and see if I’m there.

No comments:

Post a Comment