Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Dark Side of War

Coach Bailey from Gladbrook-Reinbeck talks about deciding to become a system coach.

"I am officially on the dark side. I had talked to Coach Gillespie last spring about the possibility of implementing the System this season. I struggled with the decision having been a traditional coach for 20 years! I made the decision the weekend before the season began. Coach Gillespie helped my staff and I to get things going and showing us the basics. It has been a learning process for myself and the team. We struggled a bit early at reaching our goals and thus we lost 4 of our first 5 games. About the middle of December we were able to defeat a good team on their home floor while reaching all five of our system goals for the first time. From that point on it seemed like the light came on for our kids, they realized the importance of the goals as they related to giving us a chance to be competitive and win ballgames. We finished our season this week with a 14-7 record while winning our last 8 games. We are leading the State of Iowa in many offensive categories including: points scored 1636; points per game 77.9; field goals made 600; field goal attempts 1528; 3 point attempts 533; 3's made 157. The most amazing stats of all are this is a team with all of the same players from last season, that won three ballgames, and averaged 39.5 points per game. If that isn't an endorsement for the System I don't know what is!!!! Our players, parents, and fans are having a blast as am I. The gym is full when the girls game tips off. This was not the case last season. I have been blessed with great kids who work hard and an administration that said lets try it. My only regret is that I did not tune into the System earlier."

No comments:

Post a Comment