Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hummie

Paul Humeston passed away recently of cancer. Hummie taught English and drama here at our school for over thirty years. I doubt that there was a kinder gentler man then Hummie. He lived in a giant old house down on Hawley Street here in Jesup and that house was just as unique and valuable as Paul.

Hummie was a true renaissance man, he gardened, acted, wrote, made whine, canned, cooked, wrote, fished, and truly loved his family. I have multiple stories of Paul; they are full of fun, laughter, and camaraderie. Maybe what was special about Paul was that I could show up at his and Caroline’s house at any time of the day or night and they would offer me something to eat or drink.

Paul sold me his and Jerry Donlea’s Cabin on the Wapsie. It was heaven on earth. He even let me keep his canoe down there and use it. One spring day Paul came to the cabin worried about me because the river was flooding. He talked me into taking the canoe to Cutshaw with him and putting it in the water, the access was about three miles above my cabin. The water was so high we could put in the ditch to get to the river. We paddled about thirty yards and the flooded river had us. We were going through timber and over logs and I was scared to death and Paul was sitting in the back of the canoe giggling the entire way. We did that three mile trip in a half-hour. I promised to myself I would never do that again.

Paul played the part of the Norman in a local presentation of “On Golden Pond”. He was full of happiness and fun. I can still see him doing a cartwheel in his room one of the last years he taught here at Jesup. His interest were so diverse.

My condolences go out to Caroline and the rest of the family. He made people’s life and our school better.

No comments:

Post a Comment