Friday, February 11, 2011

Images of War

One of the first days I came to Jesup I was in Larry Baldwins home. He and his wife Rhoda adopted me the first couple of years I was here. In their house they had two caricature prints done by local artist Mort Donlea. I was so impressed and so jealous. Mort had the ability to capture the person in his art.

It was the 1990 Cross Country season that Mort first did a picture of me, and I was so very happy and proud. He was kind enough always to give me more hair and less weight then I really had. That picture was a gift of the Cross Country team.

Mort did a number of pictures for me in the years to follow. Another he did that is included on this page is one of the Senior Cross Country runners of 2002. It was always a treat to go to Mort's home because of the art and the architecture. He was also a tremendous gardener. Over the years, I have become friends with his wife Joyce, his children, and grandchildren.

Mort was a very special man with a special talent. He was taken too quick from us. He gave many people in Jesup gifts of his art that will keep him alive in our memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment