Monday, February 14, 2011

The Navy

“Let us cross the river and rest in the shade on the other side.” ‘Stonewall’ Jackson





From the time I have come to Jesup the Wapsipinicon River has become important to me. I love to fish and canoe it. It is a place of solitude and peace for me. The first house I ever owned was thirty yards from that river on the old Kennedy farm. Many times the river would rise and get to the foot of my door, but it never came into my house. It flooded my well many times and burned up my pump though.

Yet as the river flooded and threatened me and others, for some reason I found a calmness about it that brought comfort to me. Maybe that is why I so dearly love Roger Millers song “River in the Rain.” I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.





No comments:

Post a Comment